Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Small Tribute to Sir Sam Manekshaw

I would Like to thank a very good and beautiful friend of mine for helping me to draft a few words about Sir Sam ManekShaw - The Legend...

I will start this blog with a confession. I had no clue about this great man until I had Googled some information and decided to write a tribute in his honor. If I haven't thought of doing so, I would've probably lived my life without ever knowing anything about this wonderful human being. And so my interest was stimulated at the mention of the 1971 Indo-Pak war.


This human being, Sam Manekshaw apparently held the highest rank of “Field Marshall” in Indian Army. He was engaged in active combat World War-2 and severely injured during the war. For me it is just one comment easily made……...for active combat soldier it is life and death. In reality life on the battlefield for a soldier is with full of unanticipated dangers, challenges, limited food and water, without family, and of course surrounded by sounds of firing discharge, detonation etc. I can only imagine as to how it feels like to be away from the loved ones and keep praying that you would get to meet them again, before you ever get hit by one of those bullets that whiz past you. I can not even imagine how it feels like to be a family member of such brave, courageous, front liners!


Of course, I've seen enough war movies and had my fair share of crying when the valiant soldier dies a heroic death. However I'm equally ashamed to admit that I have done nothing to contribute. I have thought of those unknown heroic faces probably just for a second and moved on with my life; leaving a question within- is that enough?


Because of such heart-breaking insight, I read on more about this great man. World War-2, Partition of India, Jammu Kashmir issues in 1948…....you name it, he was present in it all. I began to acquire information on him and was really impressed with what I found! Sir Manekshaw became the 8th chief of staff in 1969, then there was the great Indo-Pak war. As I write this blog, I am utterly embarrassed to know that there have been many unsung, unknown heroes in our country, and it unfortunately takes their death to arouse our curiosity and makes us think about them.


Does it make you think, or take a hard look at your own life and introspect? Here I'm, whining about my day-to-day problems, talking about hatred and anger, yet I am safe and alive with my loved ones. This simply makes me wonder if I can't take the pressures of my blissfully everyday life, what I would have done if I or a loved one had to fight in a war!


We keep talking about how war is bad and how the poor soldiers out there are risking their lives for OUR safety. Sadly questioning, how many of us will take a moment to be thankful or even pay attention out of our busy daily lives? It is one thing to want a world-peace, and quite another to carry out such. Hey, if we can't make peace in our social circle, life, how are we ever going to achieve a world-peace?


With that said we all can agree on one thing is that until each and every one of us can find peace within ourselves, wars will continue to exist. And while the wars exist, I am humbly appreciative of the brave soldiers like Sam Manekshaw and zillion others out there on the front line doing their duties by risking their precious lives for us, with their tremendous above and beyond abilities.


What I plan to do is to send a prayer to every single soldier out there ……. Indian or otherwise, for those who has fallen……………..my hats off to you………………..may you find some comfort……..……...peace…..………….


As for Sir Manekshaw, he did his job to the best of his abilities, and I pray for such a highly respected man………….


A great salute to a Great Personality. May God be with him…………………

2 comments:

Himanshu said...

A well written article. more n more ppl should know about this great man and pay tribute to him.

Sudha said...

That was a real heart-touching tribute to one of our country's great heros.
Wish there were more people like to feel genuinely for our soldiers.